* I am way behind this week mostly because the car stuff ate all the spoons.
* CW: Suicide. "The despair on the USS Abraham Lincoln exposes the deadly fraud of Pete Hegseth’s machismo:" https://www.advocate.com/opinion/uss-abraham-lincoln-despair
* "Top U.S. commander acknowledges mental health issues on USS Lincoln:" https://www.cnbc.com/2026/08/16/top-us-commander-acknowledges-mental-health-issues-on-uss-lincoln.html
* "'A floating prison' - sailors describe life on warships like USS Abraham Lincoln:" https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c5y6z4krrx3o
* "Crowds attack group of Jews in Barcelona: 'Baby killers, Jews are not welcome here':" https://www.ynetnews.com/jewish-world/article/hkzookkpgg
* "Pentagon dismisses Stars and Stripes leadership after editor, reporter oppose military interference:" https://apnews.com/article/stars-stripes-pentagon-censorship-media-d42affb0c17fef31c6089645c8dbbe70
* "Hegseth’s Pentagon goes to war against independent military newspaper Stars and Stripes:" https://www.ms.now/the-briefing-with-jen-psaki/watch/hegseth-s-pentagon-goes-to-war-against-independent-military-newspaper-stars-and-stripes-2511851075784
* "Trump nominates abortion opponent Heidi Overton to be head of FDA:" https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/19/heidi-overton-fda-commissioner-nomination
* "Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear says he’s ‘heard absolutely nothing back from Mitch McConnell’:" https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/6032276-beshear-mitch-mcconnell-health-silence/
* "Mitch McConnell Is Getting More Paid Time Off Than Women Who Give Birth:" https://www.newsweek.com/mitch-mcconnell-sick-paid-time-off-maternity-leave-comparison-12333132
* "Do Your Phone Calls and Emails Matter? :" https://cmarmitage.substack.com/p/do-your-phone-calls-and-emails-matter
* Our until Midterms is to survive, to build grassroots resistance, to do all in our power to slow the republican Christo-fascist agenda, and to prepare for 2026 in case there is still Democracy.
"Take action with Indivisible:" https://www.mobilize.us/indivisible/
Trump 2.0 Indivisible Guide. https://indivisible.org/resource/guide
If you can't safely contact them in person, here are some other options for contacting your Congress Critters:
Five Calls to your critters: https://5calls.org/
Here is one that will send your reps a fax: https://resist.bot/
And another: https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php
Snail Mail Campaigns: https://conuly.dreamwidth.org/3622760.html
"Congress. gov:" https://www.congress.gov/
White house (Possibly Dangerous): https://www.whitehouse.gov/
ACLU advice for writing to your Critters: https://www.aclu.org/writing-your-elected-representatives
This tracks legislation: https://www.govtrack.us/
"The Public Comment Process (+ how to write effective public comments):" https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/781844516804149248?source=share
"Swing Left:" https://swingleft.org/
Run for Something: https://runforsomething.net/
"Vote Smart:" https://justfacts.votesmart.org/
* "Trump attempts to use U.S. Census Bureau to revive 2020 election lies, advance attack on voting:" https://www.democracydocket.com/news-alerts/trump-census-bureau-revive-2020-election-lies-advance-attack-voting/
* "Senator presses Hegseth, Caine for commitment to keep US military out of the midterm elections:" https://apnews.com/article/slotkin-hegseth-military-midterm-elections-trump-f1f7d71f7874eecc08db52e80a715bcb
* "Democrats officially set their 2028 primary calendar, with South Carolina going first:" https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2028-election/democrats-officially-set-2028-primary-calendar-south-carolina-going-fi-rcna592519
* We are in primary season. States vote at different times, so I beg ALL of you to check when your state is voting. If you are in an in-person vote state, research ahead of time so you can vote for the candidate with views closest to your own. If you vote by mail, take the time to look them up when your ballot comes.
THIS is how you move the party further LEFT.
PLAN YOUR VOTE!!!
Primary schedule here:
* "2026 Statewide Primary Calendar:" https://www.270towin.com/2026-state-primary-calendar/
I don't know where you live, so I can't link this for you, but I find the Progressive Voter Guide online very helpful in narrowing down candidates in the often packed primaries where I live.
I also suggest looking at things like volunteer work and endorsements, because it really, really helps with things like sheriff and judicial elections, but can be useful in all sorts of primaries when you have multiple good options.
REMEMBER: Don't just vote for the big things like US Congress. Vote in every State and local race down to the smallest and on all the referendums.
State and local elections have a massive impact on your quality of life.
* Oklahoma Primaries! Don't forget to vote by August 25!
* Massachusetts Primaries! Don't forget to vote by September 1!
* New Hampshire Primaries! Don't forget to vote by September 8!
* Rhode Island Primaries! Don't forget to vote by September 9!
* Delaware Primaries! Don't forget to vote by September 15!
* "Democrats Claim Victory In Pennsylvania Seat Held By Republicans Since 1999:" https://www.newsweek.com/democrats-declare-victory-pennsylvania-seat-held-republicans-since-1999-brandon-dukes-12340582
* "History made: Two Hawaii legislative primary races end in ties. Here’s how the winners will now be chosen:" https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2026/08/15/history-made-two-hawaii-legislative-primary-races-end-ties-heres-how-winners-will-now-be-chosen/
* "Election chief defends drawing names from basket to break primary ties:" https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2026/08/20/election-chief-defends-drawing-names-basket-break-primary-ties/
* "Republican senator Dan Sullivan and Democrat Mary Peltola advance in Alaska Senate primary:" https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/19/alaska-senate-primary-results
* "Ex-mayor Dan Sullivan supports incumbent Dan Sullivan’s Senate bid against third Dan Sullivan:" https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/24/dan-sullivan-endorsement-alaska-senate-election
* "Florida voters deliver wins for LGBTQ+ candidates and losses for Moms for Liberty:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/election/moms-for-liberty-losses-florida
* "Donalds joins historic field and progressive scores upset victory in Florida:" https://apnews.com/article/florida-wyoming-alaska-primaries-democrats-trump-63e620b06acba77102cfe32781bd4efa
* "Republican Byron Donalds attacks Democrat David Jolly over trans rights in Florida governor’s race:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/election/byron-donalds-david-jolly-transgender
* "Florida Media Mogul Wins G.O.P. Primary to Replace Byron Donalds in House:" https://archive.ph/Wh7E9#selection-8054.0-8054.1
* "Democratic socialist Angie Nixon scores upset in Florida’s Democratic Senate primary:" https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2026-election/angie-nixon-winner-florida-senate-primary-democrat-alex-vindman-moody-rcna593255
* "The worst primary in America just ended:" https://www.vox.com/politics/499767/randy-fine-dan-bilzerian-florida-6-district
* "Embattled incumbent Cory Mills ousted in Florida primary:" https://www.politico.com/news/2026/08/18/cory-mills-lost-primary-01041302
* "Trump says he told Cory Mills to ‘get out of the race’:" https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2026/08/19/congress/trump-on-mills-01041568
* "Trump votes by mail again in his home state of Florida:" https://www.politico.com/news/2026/08/17/trump-vote-by-mail-primaries-florida-01039292
* "‘Stunning result’ in Florida shows energized Democrats, leaving pundits struck dumb:" https://www.ms.now/the-briefing-with-jen-psaki/watch/stunning-result-in-florida-shows-energized-democrats-pundits-struck-dumb-2511458371584
* "Trump-era GOP produces weak field of candidates as multiple Trump endorsees flop in Florida:" https://www.ms.now/the-briefing-with-jen-psaki/watch/trump-era-gop-produces-weak-field-of-candidates-as-multiple-trump-endorsees-flop-in-florida-2511454275959
* CW: Sexual Misconduct. "Democratic Rep. Jimmy Gomez being investigated over sexual misconduct allegations:" https://www.npr.org/2026/08/17/nx-s1-5935513/jimmy-gomez-house-ethics-investigation
* "Lindsey Graham’s sister and fill-in senator says she’s ‘not that informed on national security’:" https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/19/darline-graham-debate-national-security
* "Ossoff just went viral again. That was probably the point.:" https://www.politico.com/news/2026/08/18/jon-ossoff-georgia-viral-controlled-campaign-01039859
* "‘High T’ Pete Hegseth hurls anti-trans slur at Iowa State Fair campaign stop while Iran war rages on:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/national/pete-hegseth-iowa-transphobic-slur
* "GOP issues stark warning to AI companies:" https://www.axios.com/2026/08/19/gop-data-center-memo-ai-election
* "Missouri Republicans are trying to repeal abortion rights by leaning into anti-trans sentiment:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/states/missouri-abortion-rights-trans-healthcare
* "What Is Double Jeopardy, and Why Are Luigi Mangione’s Lawyers Claiming It?:" https://time.com/article/2026/08/18/double-jeopardy-luigi-mangione/
* "'Strange Fruit' in 2026: Why LGBTQ+ people cannot look away from racial terror:" https://www.advocate.com/opinion/strange-fruit-racial-terror-opinion
* CW: Abuse. It's a bad one. "Mother questioned after 19-year-old found dead in Staten Island apartment with suspicious injuries:" https://abc7ny.com/post/police-investigate-death-19-year-old-found-injuries-staten-island-apartment/19701518/
* "The real reason many Americans are cutting ties with their parents and siblings:" https://theconversation.com/the-real-reason-many-americans-are-cutting-ties-with-their-parents-and-siblings-283957
* "Kansas law forced these men into women's bathrooms. Their compliance highlights the absurdity:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/kansas-trans-guy-bathroom-ban
* "Ex-Virginia cop demands $15 million after sharing locker room with trans colleague:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/states/virginia-cop-lawsuit-transgender-colleague
* "Trans band teacher accepted an Iowa school job offer. Days before classes, the board blocked his hiring:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/states/trans-teacher-iowa-discimination
* "Emails reveal Virginia school officials approved an LGBTQ+ club — until conservative backlash hit:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/states/king-george-middle-school-lawsuit
* "Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures:" https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20260821-heatwave-hit-europe-logs-over-30-000-excess-summer-deaths-first-figures
* "Europe's hottest town says climate change is reshaping daily life:" https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/europes-hottest-town-says-climate-change-is-reshaping-daily-life-2026-08-21/
* "Wildfires Continue in Greece, Bringing Destruction and Tragedy:" https://www.thenationalherald.com/wildfires-continue-in-greece-bringing-destruction-and-tragedy/
* "America’s Rural Lands Are Burning:" https://archive.ph/cpyA7#selection-612.0-612.1
* "Two suspected arsonists arrested Thursday night following separate fires:" https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2026/aug/14/two-suspected-arsonists-arrested-thursday-night-af/
* "EPA hazmat teams start the fight against fire-related hazards:" https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2026/aug/17/epa-hazmat-teams-start-the-fight-against-fire-rela/
* "Canadian wildfire season has “accelerated significantly”: officials:" https://globalnews.ca/news/12025222/2026-canadian-wildfire-season-update/
* "Venezuela Floods Expose How Rain Finds the Same Forgotten Streets:" https://latinamericanpost.com/americas/venezuela-floods-expose-how-rain-finds-the-same-forgotten-streets/
* "Hawaiian Islands deal with second storm in as many weeks:" https://komonews.com/weather/weather-whys/tropical-depression-storm-moke-lala-hawaii-weather-flooding-heavy-rain-gusty-winds-big-island-maui-saturated-soil-high-streams-rivers-landslides-damage?teaserSource=trending
* "Heavy rains in Lima leave more than 100 families affected:" https://www.reutersconnect.com/item/heavy-rains-in-lima-leave-more-than-100-families-affected/dGFnOnJldXRlcnMuY29tLDIwMjY6bmV3c21sX09XRUZWQzcwMDE2MDU2MTkwMDE
* "Lima Floods: A Few mm of Rain Exposes a City Not Built for Water:" https://www.riotimesonline.com/peru-lima-flood-emergency-el-nino/
* "'Survival mode': Indiana residents endure a ninth day without power:" https://www.npr.org/2026/08/21/g-s1-139527/indiana-storm-outages
* "The 108-Degree Eviction:" https://archive.ph/NL6Wi#selection-612.0-612.1
* "Giant whales move into Greenland waters as ice disappears:" https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cq6dn9gj7eno
* "Walruses coming ashore:" https://www.arcticwwf.org/the-circle/stories/walruses-coming-ashore/
* "Fire services stretched as residents still not home:" https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cwyjjvd4g0qo
* "Colombia’s de la Espriella has to rebuild the earthquake’s ruptures — and the political ones too :" https://www.nbcnews.com/world/latin-america/colombia-de-la-espriella-earthquake-reflects-political-divide-rcna593809
* "'We are devastated' - Nigerian villagers bury bodies after overloaded boat capsizes:" https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj035jg256no
* "Fire rangers of Mongolian steppe: climate crisis spurs revival of ancient knowledge – photo essay:" https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/aug/16/fire-rangers-mongolia-steppe-climate-crisis-ancient-knowledge-photo-essay
* "Silicon Valley Executives Are Tech Fans. Just Not for Their Own Kids.:" https://archive.ph/Xb3dO#selection-3896.0-3896.1
* "We Tracked a Shipment of Rare Books. It Ended at an Amazon AI Training Facility:" https://www.404media.co/we-tracked-a-shipment-of-rare-books-it-ended-at-an-amazon-ai-training-facility/
* "Founder of queer dating app Goose quits after AI controversy:" https://www.advocate.com/news/people/derek-chadwick-goose
* "They escaped south-east Asia’s scam compounds. Then they realised they were still trapped:" https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2026/aug/20/scam-compounds-trafficked-cambodia-rescued-sleeping-rough-detention
* "The Nuns Who Took Over an Assisted Living Center:" https://archive.ph/fJ9nP#selection-3923.0-3923.48
* "The Bayeux Tapestry’s Long and Bumpy Road to London:" https://archive.ph/zPGuo#selection-3957.0-3957.51
* "Picasso etching stolen from art gallery in 2018 found by landlord in vacant apartment:" https://abcnews.com/US/wireStory/picasso-etching-stolen-milwaukee-art-gallery-2018-found-135653218?
* "Outshine Fruit Bars voluntarily recalled due to possible glass contamination:" https://abcnews.com/GMA/Food/dreyers-voluntarily-recalls-outshine-fruit-bars-potential-glass/story?id=135736405
* "URGENT: Don’t Eat These Popular Flavor Ice Creams! Glass Found NATIONWIDE:"
* Wednesday, I had a dental cleaning. I also really needed to go to the library. Dentist was 8AM. Library opens at 10AM. It occurred to me I could hit the pharmacy after my cleaning, then go on to the bank to try to negotiate Plan B.
Getting out of the apartment was harder than it sounds. I needed to do things like change and the like and I kept having to step over giant kittens multiple times every time I tried to move. I even fed them wet food to distract them, but still I was running late. I had planned to go out the kitchen door to grab things from the car, but I should have left 10 minutes previous and I was about to brave morning rush hour. I had a box, my crutch, and the black death with me as I stepped out onto the porch and Saffy zipped out after me.
I spent five minutes I could not afford trying to get her back, but she is muscular and her coat hasn't much friction and claw escaped after her. I got Claw in, but Saf ended up under her favorite bush where even if I got on my hands and knees I couldn't get her and I definitely couldn't get up from that position whilst holding her, let alone manage the crutch which I would need to traverse the stupid uneven decorative path.
There was nothing for it, but to abandon her there, knowing I would be gone something between 2 1/2-3 hours. I know Saffy and I leash trained a cat at 8 and have done it a number of times since. If one of them were loose, best it were Saffy. Saffy is outgoing, sure, but she likes to take her time sizing a new person or situation up. She doesn't like large dogs or loud noises. She'd be unlikely to approach a car or a stranger or a dog outside. These would be concerns with Clawdia. It was still scary leaving her behind even with my belief she would hide under the bush until someone came along the path, then retreat to the porch to hide amoung the plants.
I found her exactly where I pictured her when I got back, and wasn't she happy to see me. Outside is scary and boring without the company of her sister and her human. There was no water, nothing to eat but bugs, and no litter box. She went right inside and her half panicked sister needed almost as much comforting as she did.
Cleaning went fine, but I have to go back Friday for a check up, which is weird as it's usually a 2-3 month wait. This was worrying as I am at Squirrel's mercy for transport. I knew Thursday was right out for their physio, but I suspected (correctly as it turns out) they'd be exhausted from physio and 8AM is really early for them to be going anywhere just now, so that was all right. Pharmacy was a small line, but at least I got to sit down while I waited.
I was not sanguine I would have much luck at the bank; given my poverty, my debt, and the thing where I owe the city when I either die or leave my apartment; but it had to be attempted. It required a supervisor as it turned out, but the nice young man and I looked at where I lived on the computer and I pointed to my patio, my dying car, and my roommate's car from the aerial view and I tried to convince him to sign up for a library card while we chatted about stuff and waited. (He was new in town and we were discussing amenities).
It went better than hoped. There is a chance for plan B and they suggested a plan C if B doesn't work out. It is risky and my late parents are metaphorically screaming in my head because one of the cardinal rules is never fuck with your housing. Without a cosigner, there is zero chance of a third party lender taking me. What I need is a way to pay for the car up front without ever having more than 2000.00 in my bank account at a time, which will fuck up my SSI/SSD and other benefits. Not fucking those up is cardinal rule #2.
Plan B is riskier, but would be a two birds with one stone situation and leave me better off than I am now in a couple years if nothing else goes wrong. I do not trust that nothing else will go wrong, hence it stressing me right the fuck out, but I am rational about this being the best solution at this stage. The real problem with Plan B is it will likely take a month to implement if they like my paperwork Friday morning after dentist appointment #2. This means I may have to get a more expensive car if they fix the one I want too quick. They will be back from vacation Monday. Let us hope the tail light is on back order or something, or I can talk them into partial payment to hold it. I am not sanguine on account of the time situation, but it is irremediable.
Plan C is less risk and faster, but only leaves me in the same precarious situation I've been in for decades. I am at this point about a thousand short on having enough for the car in two months. The car could be ready in a week or two. idk.
In any case it was Too Hot by the time I left the bank and the Library was so hot inside I was struggling not to vomit or pass out. I do very poorly in the heat and this was like someone's windowless attic in high summer with no airflow.
And I still needed to pick up lime juice to make lemonade on the way back. (The lemon part was covered, but like my mother, Grandmother, and great grandmother before me, I like my lemonade strong and tart and not tasting of chemicals). I find lime juice adds a little zing. I normally have shelf stable lime juice, but apparently, I was out. I have some EBT left, and I keep craving vitamin C. There were two places to pick some up on the way back from the library, but I was struggling to both breath and walk at this point, so dipping into the coop to grab some was torture.
And then I still had to put it all away some how. And wash all the pollen and pollution out of my hair. I also had a documents list, but I saved that for Thursday night. I abandoned my library books in Squirrels car. I did what had to be done, but I had burned several days of spoons and there is always high interest on that.
I did manage prep Wednesday, but not much else. Thursday, I managed to feed myself and walk the kittens before the New Guy came to rescue my library books and do sundry other tasks. My body is really not working well and I am having to stay up for Dentist and bank again. At least my anal retentiveness about documents that are often wanted for bureaucracy paid off in it only taking 15-20 minutes to find and double check all the documents, most of it me going through the folder where all but one thing was and verifying correct dates. The one thing was the 2024 tax filing (SSI/SSD is not taxed, but I always file for this reason), which was exactly where I expected on the tax form pile.
I am exhausted. Let us hope I can walk more than a few feet in the morning.
* Friday I dragged myself back out into the heat despite not being even close to recovered. This time the cats were less involved with me getting ready and I was able to grab the book on CD that needed going back to the library, so I went out the kitchen door, which the kittens know leads to a boring corridor that smells like strangers cooking in a furnished basement in the 1970's, and the car trip to the vet. *shudder*
Squirrel's car is hard for me for a variety of reasons, including difficulty getting in and out without hurting myself, and the way it is physically hard to drive, and the way it makes me queasy (Squirrel didn't notice anything was wrong with it until I pointed it out, and there is no money to take it in just now), but it is so much better than getting stranded downtown when my car dies. I am grateful, but also it is a strenuous thing for me by itself, even if I'm just a passenger.
The dental check up went quickly, so went to get gas at the weird gas station where everything is just a little off as Squirrel was out and I owed them, and also the tank was on empty. The thing would not stop pumping as the trigger was stuck so I both injured my hand and ended up accidentally buying more than intended. Sigh. I hate that gas station. If you pay cash they don't always turn on the pump. If you pay be credit this tends to happen "accidentally." The weird gas station was close and the good gas station is up where I live, so…
They open the downstairs back doors late as it turns out, and I was worried if I was late for the meeting I'd make a bad impression, so I went all the way around going up uphill with my hip joints screaming then the length of the bank back. I had all my papers, but forgot I needed my lap top. I left them the paper packet to copy while I ran home for it. Then there was the drama about the address because the computer didn't like it. (There are three ways to write my address, and computer systems are often persnickety about it. This issue was the bank didn't want to take apartment numbers at all.) we has to wait for a supervisor. The guy I am dealing with is sweet but he's new and does not know how to deal with problems yet. Then there was my property tax statement, which is a lot lower than the Redfin suite. Plus my bill looks funny because the city has a tax abatement program for elderly and disabled, which means I have a massive column of discounts, etc.. We needed to wait fore the supervisor. Me: I'm pretty sure redfin is based on recent sales and assessments, my valuation is frozen at the 2010 rate…. The supervisor agreed to trust the lower redfin number because that was likely closer. I suspect it's lowball, because the low end is likely 1 bedroom and the high range two, but better to under estimate than over because it becomes fraud if you overvalue. Then we had to wait for the supervisor to find out if one was supposed to declare gifts or not.
Anyway, it's submitted and they should call next week about inspection. The supervisor think it might go faster than the original month estimate. *digits cruciform* The mechanics return from vacation next week.
I'd been eating garden tomatoes, but I ate the last ripe one Thursday and the next batch were three that were too small and then a gap. The tomatoes are small this year, lots of them are cherry tomato range, bit some are small end of reasonable. I plant heirlooms, and it's like they are packing the flavour for normal sized tomatoes into the tomatoes, so they are some of the best tasting I've ever had, but about half I just pop into my mouth, still sun warm from the vine.
There was nothing for it but to buy tomatoes on the way home, which was alarming, as my legs kept trying to collapse, but there was nothing to be done, but burn more spoons I don't have. I'll be lucky to reach baseline level disabled for me sometime next week.Bonus, the coop has a thing where if you buy a certain amount of produce, you get five dollars off because they have some sort of grant for SNAP/EBT. For three dollars of corn, I got five dollars off, so I got white corn this year after all. It is a risk, but the non-citrus there is generally local, so it's probably okay.
After I took my stuff to the patio, the forage delivery pulled up as I was getting into the car, so that was another thing I had to do before bath and bed. It's very thin these days, not surprisingly. Still the bananas, milk, and butter are worth it, and Squirrel gets meat and bread out of it.
I am in really bad shape. I'm sorry it's taking so long to post things like election results. I have to spend a stupid amount of time lying down.
* I want to state up front that while this was terrifying for the kittens, they were not physically harmed and she is recovering from the shock.
Saffy went into the fish tank today. Terrifying for all involved including Clawdia, who panicked and blocked my rescue. It was bound to happen. They could not be discouraged. Tavy was the same way, only he fell into a betta tank instead of a 50 gallon.
So I am eating a popsicle so I could take last meds and not looking that way when I hear the CRACK of aquarium glass, So I jam the thing in my mouth because I'm about to need my hands, step over Claw who is also hurrying over in alarm. She gets ahead of me, because of course, so I round the corner of the table just in time to see Saff's claws slip from the top of the bookshelf. If she'd had fingers, she'd have been fine, but paws, so she is slipping down the side of the bookshelf, pawing wildly for purchase she had no chance of getting, trying to stand one tank edge, but it's thin and he paws keep slipping into the drink.
Claw has frozen in panic right in front of me because she too was bright enough to grasp the terrible thing about to happen to her sister.
So now I have to delicately step over Claw to get to Saf, which slows the rescue way down. Saf managed to turn and sort of straddle the thin edge of the short side of the tank top instead of going all the way in, but she now has two legs in and there is broken glass caught on the plants just under her hind leg and she is falling sideways into the tank."
I have never seen a look of horror and desperation so profound on the face of anyone human or cat in my life.
I push the popsicle further in as I close the distance, and awkwardly grab her before she crashes into the water, though her flank hit a little. She panics harder, because I am lifting her under her pits and there is nothing for her to grab for several terrifying seconds before I could set her on the chair.
She miraculously did not drown or cut her paws on glass. Ten minutes later, I wouldn't have been there to save her.
I suspect she was trying to do something that concentrated her weight in one spot on the left side of the lid based on her ability to leap the way she did with the lid collapsing under her and the damage pattern on the glass. She managed to knock the light and the pump into the water too. Also part of the filter and the pump pad. Luckily the plants slowed the decent of everything. I'm going to let the pump dry for another day longer before plugging it back in.
The light was off and I set it to dry. It is working now. There is no lid on the tank. I'm hoping it was scary enough they will start standing on their hind legs to drink out of the twenty like sensible cats. (They have other water, but I've been keeping both cats and fish together since the turn of the century, and it is impossible to prevent cats from drinking from fish tanks.
She needed a LOT of cuddles and they spent the last three hours chasing each other and knocking things over and flinging themselves at curtains, I think because enough time passed between the tank accident this morning and about 7PM for her to be relieved enough to release the tension.
Saffy attacked my feet. Saffy never attacks my feet. Claw? Yes. Saff no.
We had feather time for a while, then they went back to tackle tag and swinging from the curtains.
Before you ask, there is no way to stop them swinging from the curtains. They enjoy it too much and I have to sleep sometime.
* "The Most Relatable Death Wish Ever? | Grave Conversations with David Dastmalchian:"
* "You’ll Be More Than Amused by These 15 Photos of Theme Parks. Their Electrifying Attractions Will Have Your Heart Racing Before You Even Set Foot on a Ride:" https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/youll-be-more-than-just-amused-by-these-15-photos-of-theme-parks-their-electrifying-attractions-will-have-your-heart-racing-before-you-even-set-foot-on-a-ride-180989008/
* "Ocean Photographer of the Year 2026 Finalists:" https://archive.ph/EUU9A#selection-610.0-610.1
*****
* Full list of Resistance and charity links has been migrated to my profile as it was getting out of hand.
The help links are at the bottom under the cut.
* It is important we flip the US Senate in November!
Here are some key Campaigns to Donate to:
If you wish to help defeat an election denier for Arizona Secretary of state, here is Adrian Fontes's fundraising page: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/friendraising-fontes
James Talrico, Texas: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/jt-tx-web
Roy Cooper, North Carolina: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/em-cgp-2025-cooper
Mary Peltola, Alaska: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/dw_aksen
Josh Turek, Iowa: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/dw_iasen
I am still furious at Sherrod Brown for throwing trans people under the bus last election. At the same time, we need the Senate, so I will post the donation link and leave it to the individual conscience.
Sherrod Brown, Ohio: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/subodh
* Want to help Jennifer Jenkins and Southern Progress PAC piss of Queerphobic and Misogynistic Repubblicans? https://secure.actblue.com/donate/s-partner_loc_jj_em_southernprogress
* "Transcontinental Pipeline:" https://tcpipeline.org/steps/
* "Swing Left:" https://swingleft.org/
* "2026 Statewide Primary Calendar:" https://www.270towin.com/2026-state-primary-calendar/
* "Project Salt Box:" https://projectsaltbox.substack.com/
* "When the Feds Come to Your City: Standing Up to ICE :" https://crimethinc.com/2025/12/03/when-the-feds-come-to-your-city-standing-up-to-ice-a-guide-from-chicago-organizers
* Links to Help organize in advance of ICE Occupation: https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/807226885129060352?source=share
* "MASTER LIST OF WAYS TO HELP IN MINNEAPOLIS:" https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/807223113540599808?source=share
* "Here are Minnesota groups that need your help organizing against ICE and DHS operations:" https://www.advocate.com/news/minnesota-mutual-aid-groups-ice
* "The List of Shame: People frequently ask us about whether their specific US state is trying to enact a social media age verification law so they can call their state representatives and yell at them about it!:" https://dw-advocacy.dreamwidth.org/1493.html
* "Keep Android Open:" https://keepandroidopen.org/
* "Taking action against AI harms:" https://www.anildash.com/2026/02/23/taking-action-ai-harms/
* "Resist and Unsubscribe:" https://www.resistandunsubscribe.com/
* Suggestions for crafts a person can do in bed are in the notes: https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/809534727291912192?source=share
* If you need help with chest binders:
* "Free Chest Binders:" https://www.pointofpride.org/free-chest-binders
* "Brother 2 Brother Binder Program:" https://blacktransmen.org/binder-program/
* "Morebinders:" https://www.morebinders.com/about
* "The Queer Trans Project :" https://queertransproject.org/
* "Free Gender Affirming Gear Program:" https://www.ftmessentials.com/pages/ftme-free-youth-binder-program
* CW: Suicide "These hotlines are still available for LGBTQ+ youth after Trump kills 988 services:" https://www.advocate.com/news/lgbtq-youth-hotlines-still-available
* "State Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies:" https://rsa.ed.gov/about/states
* "United States Disappeared Tracker:" https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/danielleharlow/viz/UnitedStatesDisappearedTracker/Map
* "Introducing Rise Up: Federal Workers Legal Defense Network:" https://aflcio.org/2025/4/16/introducing-rise-federal-workers-legal-defense-network
* Help Lambda Legal Continue their fight: https://support.lambdalegal.org/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app30130a?df_id=6680&mfc_pref=T&6680.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=D3311163DF16F06EEA5520010BAF90B5&_gl=1*n53ras*_gcl_au*MTMxNDYxNjc0LjE3MzgxODExMzg.*_ga*MTY0NDY4OTM4NC4xNzM4MTgxMTM4*_ga_290ZG8GMP3*MTczODE4MTEzOC4xLjEuMTczODE4MTIwMi41OC4wLjA.
* Glad Law is fighting for trans service members. Want to help? https://givebutter.com/donatetoglad?utm_src=webheader&_gl=1*1qhxi1q*_ga*NDM3MjM0Mzk1LjE3NDEwMDk5NDA.*_ga_PCJHHSV2G7*MTc0MTAwOTk0MC4xLjAuMTc0MTAwOTk0MC4wLjAuMA..
* "Donate to the ACLU:" https://action.aclu.org/give/now
* "Vote Smart:" https://justfacts.votesmart.org/
* "Democracy 2025:" https://www.democracy2025.org/?utm_source=df-ad&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=21912407002&utm_content=721373734297&source=df-ad-gs&gad_source=1
* "Here are 26 organizations fighting Donald Trump that you can donate to:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/anti-donald-trump-charities
* Run for Something: https://runforsomething.net/
* "LGBTQ+ Victory Fund:" https://victoryfund.org/
* What to do if you encounter an immigration official. "Know Your Rights:" https://unitedwedream.org/resources/know-your-rights/
* "ICE Raids Toolkit: Defend Against ICE Raids and Community Arrests:" https://www.immigrantdefenseproject.org/raids-toolkit/
* "Legal Services for Your Reproductive Life:" https://reprolegalhelpline.org/
* "National Abortion Hotline:" https://prochoice.org/
* "World Central Kitchen:" https://wck.org/
* Trans support organization: https://www.pointofpride.org/
* "Transanta: An opportunity to directly support trans youth:" https://thisfinecrew.dreamwidth.org/291573.html
* Links for various Palestinian Aid Organizations: https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/750151174318112768?source=share
* "Black Alliance for Peace’s Atlanta Citywide Alliance:" https://linktr.ee/bapatlanta
* Map of Cop Cities planned or being built: https://isyourlifebetter.net/cop-cities-usa/
* Want to help Journalists without Borders? https://donate.rsf.org/us/donate/~my-donation
* How to donate to Doctors Without Borders: https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/secure/donate
* "The Rainbow Railroad:" https://www.rainbowrailroad.org/take-action
* "These Organizations Accept Donations To Help People in Ukraine:" https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/03/01/where-to-donate-help-ukraine/
* "Russia-Ukraine War: Info and ways to help:" https://ukrainewar.carrd.co/
* "Support OVD-Info:" https://beste-glatisant.tumblr.com/post/677388506851606528/hi-ive-donated-to-the-ukranian-refugees-and-now
* "War in Ukraine! Support LGBTQ people.:" https://secure.wayforpay.com/payment/s047412e502b6
* What to help fight for queer people in Africa? Try the Initiative Sankofa D’Afrique de l’Ouest www.ISDAO.org
* Organizations to help trans folk: https://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/620857152453640195/about-us
* Indivisible Guide for Trump 2.0 "A Practical Guide to defeating MAGA:" https://indivisible.org/resource/guide
* This tracks legislation: https://www.govtrack.us/
* Have something you want to tell your Congress Critters? If you can't safely protest in person, here are some other options:
Five Calls to your critters: https://5calls.org/
Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be connected to the representative of your choice.
Senate: https://contactsenators.com/senator-phone-numbers/
Congress in General: https://www.congress.gov/members/find-your-member
Here is one that will send your reps a fax: https://resist.bot/
* "DONATE TO EMILY'S LIST:" https://win.emilyslist.org/a/donate-to-emily
* Want to help support all of us all here at the Cat Asylum? https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/Gwydion
* CW: Suicide. "The despair on the USS Abraham Lincoln exposes the deadly fraud of Pete Hegseth’s machismo:" https://www.advocate.com/opinion/uss-abraham-lincoln-despair
* "Top U.S. commander acknowledges mental health issues on USS Lincoln:" https://www.cnbc.com/2026/08/16/top-us-commander-acknowledges-mental-health-issues-on-uss-lincoln.html
* "'A floating prison' - sailors describe life on warships like USS Abraham Lincoln:" https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c5y6z4krrx3o
* "Crowds attack group of Jews in Barcelona: 'Baby killers, Jews are not welcome here':" https://www.ynetnews.com/jewish-world/article/hkzookkpgg
* "Pentagon dismisses Stars and Stripes leadership after editor, reporter oppose military interference:" https://apnews.com/article/stars-stripes-pentagon-censorship-media-d42affb0c17fef31c6089645c8dbbe70
* "Hegseth’s Pentagon goes to war against independent military newspaper Stars and Stripes:" https://www.ms.now/the-briefing-with-jen-psaki/watch/hegseth-s-pentagon-goes-to-war-against-independent-military-newspaper-stars-and-stripes-2511851075784
* "Trump nominates abortion opponent Heidi Overton to be head of FDA:" https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/19/heidi-overton-fda-commissioner-nomination
* "Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear says he’s ‘heard absolutely nothing back from Mitch McConnell’:" https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/6032276-beshear-mitch-mcconnell-health-silence/
* "Mitch McConnell Is Getting More Paid Time Off Than Women Who Give Birth:" https://www.newsweek.com/mitch-mcconnell-sick-paid-time-off-maternity-leave-comparison-12333132
* "Do Your Phone Calls and Emails Matter? :" https://cmarmitage.substack.com/p/do-your-phone-calls-and-emails-matter
* Our until Midterms is to survive, to build grassroots resistance, to do all in our power to slow the republican Christo-fascist agenda, and to prepare for 2026 in case there is still Democracy.
"Take action with Indivisible:" https://www.mobilize.us/indivisible/
Trump 2.0 Indivisible Guide. https://indivisible.org/resource/guide
If you can't safely contact them in person, here are some other options for contacting your Congress Critters:
Five Calls to your critters: https://5calls.org/
Here is one that will send your reps a fax: https://resist.bot/
And another: https://faxzero.com/fax_senate.php
Snail Mail Campaigns: https://conuly.dreamwidth.org/3622760.html
"Congress. gov:" https://www.congress.gov/
White house (Possibly Dangerous): https://www.whitehouse.gov/
ACLU advice for writing to your Critters: https://www.aclu.org/writing-your-elected-representatives
This tracks legislation: https://www.govtrack.us/
"The Public Comment Process (+ how to write effective public comments):" https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/781844516804149248?source=share
"Swing Left:" https://swingleft.org/
Run for Something: https://runforsomething.net/
"Vote Smart:" https://justfacts.votesmart.org/
* "Trump attempts to use U.S. Census Bureau to revive 2020 election lies, advance attack on voting:" https://www.democracydocket.com/news-alerts/trump-census-bureau-revive-2020-election-lies-advance-attack-voting/
* "Senator presses Hegseth, Caine for commitment to keep US military out of the midterm elections:" https://apnews.com/article/slotkin-hegseth-military-midterm-elections-trump-f1f7d71f7874eecc08db52e80a715bcb
* "Democrats officially set their 2028 primary calendar, with South Carolina going first:" https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2028-election/democrats-officially-set-2028-primary-calendar-south-carolina-going-fi-rcna592519
* We are in primary season. States vote at different times, so I beg ALL of you to check when your state is voting. If you are in an in-person vote state, research ahead of time so you can vote for the candidate with views closest to your own. If you vote by mail, take the time to look them up when your ballot comes.
THIS is how you move the party further LEFT.
PLAN YOUR VOTE!!!
Primary schedule here:
* "2026 Statewide Primary Calendar:" https://www.270towin.com/2026-state-primary-calendar/
I don't know where you live, so I can't link this for you, but I find the Progressive Voter Guide online very helpful in narrowing down candidates in the often packed primaries where I live.
I also suggest looking at things like volunteer work and endorsements, because it really, really helps with things like sheriff and judicial elections, but can be useful in all sorts of primaries when you have multiple good options.
REMEMBER: Don't just vote for the big things like US Congress. Vote in every State and local race down to the smallest and on all the referendums.
State and local elections have a massive impact on your quality of life.
* Oklahoma Primaries! Don't forget to vote by August 25!
* Massachusetts Primaries! Don't forget to vote by September 1!
* New Hampshire Primaries! Don't forget to vote by September 8!
* Rhode Island Primaries! Don't forget to vote by September 9!
* Delaware Primaries! Don't forget to vote by September 15!
* "Democrats Claim Victory In Pennsylvania Seat Held By Republicans Since 1999:" https://www.newsweek.com/democrats-declare-victory-pennsylvania-seat-held-republicans-since-1999-brandon-dukes-12340582
* "History made: Two Hawaii legislative primary races end in ties. Here’s how the winners will now be chosen:" https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2026/08/15/history-made-two-hawaii-legislative-primary-races-end-ties-heres-how-winners-will-now-be-chosen/
* "Election chief defends drawing names from basket to break primary ties:" https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2026/08/20/election-chief-defends-drawing-names-basket-break-primary-ties/
* "Republican senator Dan Sullivan and Democrat Mary Peltola advance in Alaska Senate primary:" https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/19/alaska-senate-primary-results
* "Ex-mayor Dan Sullivan supports incumbent Dan Sullivan’s Senate bid against third Dan Sullivan:" https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/24/dan-sullivan-endorsement-alaska-senate-election
* "Florida voters deliver wins for LGBTQ+ candidates and losses for Moms for Liberty:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/election/moms-for-liberty-losses-florida
* "Donalds joins historic field and progressive scores upset victory in Florida:" https://apnews.com/article/florida-wyoming-alaska-primaries-democrats-trump-63e620b06acba77102cfe32781bd4efa
* "Republican Byron Donalds attacks Democrat David Jolly over trans rights in Florida governor’s race:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/election/byron-donalds-david-jolly-transgender
* "Florida Media Mogul Wins G.O.P. Primary to Replace Byron Donalds in House:" https://archive.ph/Wh7E9#selection-8054.0-8054.1
* "Democratic socialist Angie Nixon scores upset in Florida’s Democratic Senate primary:" https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2026-election/angie-nixon-winner-florida-senate-primary-democrat-alex-vindman-moody-rcna593255
* "The worst primary in America just ended:" https://www.vox.com/politics/499767/randy-fine-dan-bilzerian-florida-6-district
* "Embattled incumbent Cory Mills ousted in Florida primary:" https://www.politico.com/news/2026/08/18/cory-mills-lost-primary-01041302
* "Trump says he told Cory Mills to ‘get out of the race’:" https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2026/08/19/congress/trump-on-mills-01041568
* "Trump votes by mail again in his home state of Florida:" https://www.politico.com/news/2026/08/17/trump-vote-by-mail-primaries-florida-01039292
* "‘Stunning result’ in Florida shows energized Democrats, leaving pundits struck dumb:" https://www.ms.now/the-briefing-with-jen-psaki/watch/stunning-result-in-florida-shows-energized-democrats-pundits-struck-dumb-2511458371584
* "Trump-era GOP produces weak field of candidates as multiple Trump endorsees flop in Florida:" https://www.ms.now/the-briefing-with-jen-psaki/watch/trump-era-gop-produces-weak-field-of-candidates-as-multiple-trump-endorsees-flop-in-florida-2511454275959
* CW: Sexual Misconduct. "Democratic Rep. Jimmy Gomez being investigated over sexual misconduct allegations:" https://www.npr.org/2026/08/17/nx-s1-5935513/jimmy-gomez-house-ethics-investigation
* "Lindsey Graham’s sister and fill-in senator says she’s ‘not that informed on national security’:" https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2026/aug/19/darline-graham-debate-national-security
* "Ossoff just went viral again. That was probably the point.:" https://www.politico.com/news/2026/08/18/jon-ossoff-georgia-viral-controlled-campaign-01039859
* "‘High T’ Pete Hegseth hurls anti-trans slur at Iowa State Fair campaign stop while Iran war rages on:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/national/pete-hegseth-iowa-transphobic-slur
* "GOP issues stark warning to AI companies:" https://www.axios.com/2026/08/19/gop-data-center-memo-ai-election
* "Missouri Republicans are trying to repeal abortion rights by leaning into anti-trans sentiment:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/states/missouri-abortion-rights-trans-healthcare
* "What Is Double Jeopardy, and Why Are Luigi Mangione’s Lawyers Claiming It?:" https://time.com/article/2026/08/18/double-jeopardy-luigi-mangione/
* "'Strange Fruit' in 2026: Why LGBTQ+ people cannot look away from racial terror:" https://www.advocate.com/opinion/strange-fruit-racial-terror-opinion
* CW: Abuse. It's a bad one. "Mother questioned after 19-year-old found dead in Staten Island apartment with suspicious injuries:" https://abc7ny.com/post/police-investigate-death-19-year-old-found-injuries-staten-island-apartment/19701518/
* "The real reason many Americans are cutting ties with their parents and siblings:" https://theconversation.com/the-real-reason-many-americans-are-cutting-ties-with-their-parents-and-siblings-283957
* "Kansas law forced these men into women's bathrooms. Their compliance highlights the absurdity:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/kansas-trans-guy-bathroom-ban
* "Ex-Virginia cop demands $15 million after sharing locker room with trans colleague:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/states/virginia-cop-lawsuit-transgender-colleague
* "Trans band teacher accepted an Iowa school job offer. Days before classes, the board blocked his hiring:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/states/trans-teacher-iowa-discimination
* "Emails reveal Virginia school officials approved an LGBTQ+ club — until conservative backlash hit:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/states/king-george-middle-school-lawsuit
* "Heatwave-hit Europe logs over 30,000 excess summer deaths: first figures:" https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20260821-heatwave-hit-europe-logs-over-30-000-excess-summer-deaths-first-figures
* "Europe's hottest town says climate change is reshaping daily life:" https://www.reuters.com/business/environment/europes-hottest-town-says-climate-change-is-reshaping-daily-life-2026-08-21/
* "Wildfires Continue in Greece, Bringing Destruction and Tragedy:" https://www.thenationalherald.com/wildfires-continue-in-greece-bringing-destruction-and-tragedy/
* "America’s Rural Lands Are Burning:" https://archive.ph/cpyA7#selection-612.0-612.1
* "Two suspected arsonists arrested Thursday night following separate fires:" https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2026/aug/14/two-suspected-arsonists-arrested-thursday-night-af/
* "EPA hazmat teams start the fight against fire-related hazards:" https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2026/aug/17/epa-hazmat-teams-start-the-fight-against-fire-rela/
* "Canadian wildfire season has “accelerated significantly”: officials:" https://globalnews.ca/news/12025222/2026-canadian-wildfire-season-update/
* "Venezuela Floods Expose How Rain Finds the Same Forgotten Streets:" https://latinamericanpost.com/americas/venezuela-floods-expose-how-rain-finds-the-same-forgotten-streets/
* "Hawaiian Islands deal with second storm in as many weeks:" https://komonews.com/weather/weather-whys/tropical-depression-storm-moke-lala-hawaii-weather-flooding-heavy-rain-gusty-winds-big-island-maui-saturated-soil-high-streams-rivers-landslides-damage?teaserSource=trending
* "Heavy rains in Lima leave more than 100 families affected:" https://www.reutersconnect.com/item/heavy-rains-in-lima-leave-more-than-100-families-affected/dGFnOnJldXRlcnMuY29tLDIwMjY6bmV3c21sX09XRUZWQzcwMDE2MDU2MTkwMDE
* "Lima Floods: A Few mm of Rain Exposes a City Not Built for Water:" https://www.riotimesonline.com/peru-lima-flood-emergency-el-nino/
* "'Survival mode': Indiana residents endure a ninth day without power:" https://www.npr.org/2026/08/21/g-s1-139527/indiana-storm-outages
* "The 108-Degree Eviction:" https://archive.ph/NL6Wi#selection-612.0-612.1
* "Giant whales move into Greenland waters as ice disappears:" https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cq6dn9gj7eno
* "Walruses coming ashore:" https://www.arcticwwf.org/the-circle/stories/walruses-coming-ashore/
* "Fire services stretched as residents still not home:" https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cwyjjvd4g0qo
* "Colombia’s de la Espriella has to rebuild the earthquake’s ruptures — and the political ones too :" https://www.nbcnews.com/world/latin-america/colombia-de-la-espriella-earthquake-reflects-political-divide-rcna593809
* "'We are devastated' - Nigerian villagers bury bodies after overloaded boat capsizes:" https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cj035jg256no
* "Fire rangers of Mongolian steppe: climate crisis spurs revival of ancient knowledge – photo essay:" https://www.theguardian.com/world/2026/aug/16/fire-rangers-mongolia-steppe-climate-crisis-ancient-knowledge-photo-essay
* "Silicon Valley Executives Are Tech Fans. Just Not for Their Own Kids.:" https://archive.ph/Xb3dO#selection-3896.0-3896.1
* "We Tracked a Shipment of Rare Books. It Ended at an Amazon AI Training Facility:" https://www.404media.co/we-tracked-a-shipment-of-rare-books-it-ended-at-an-amazon-ai-training-facility/
* "Founder of queer dating app Goose quits after AI controversy:" https://www.advocate.com/news/people/derek-chadwick-goose
* "They escaped south-east Asia’s scam compounds. Then they realised they were still trapped:" https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2026/aug/20/scam-compounds-trafficked-cambodia-rescued-sleeping-rough-detention
* "The Nuns Who Took Over an Assisted Living Center:" https://archive.ph/fJ9nP#selection-3923.0-3923.48
* "The Bayeux Tapestry’s Long and Bumpy Road to London:" https://archive.ph/zPGuo#selection-3957.0-3957.51
* "Picasso etching stolen from art gallery in 2018 found by landlord in vacant apartment:" https://abcnews.com/US/wireStory/picasso-etching-stolen-milwaukee-art-gallery-2018-found-135653218?
* "Outshine Fruit Bars voluntarily recalled due to possible glass contamination:" https://abcnews.com/GMA/Food/dreyers-voluntarily-recalls-outshine-fruit-bars-potential-glass/story?id=135736405
* "URGENT: Don’t Eat These Popular Flavor Ice Creams! Glass Found NATIONWIDE:"
* Wednesday, I had a dental cleaning. I also really needed to go to the library. Dentist was 8AM. Library opens at 10AM. It occurred to me I could hit the pharmacy after my cleaning, then go on to the bank to try to negotiate Plan B.
Getting out of the apartment was harder than it sounds. I needed to do things like change and the like and I kept having to step over giant kittens multiple times every time I tried to move. I even fed them wet food to distract them, but still I was running late. I had planned to go out the kitchen door to grab things from the car, but I should have left 10 minutes previous and I was about to brave morning rush hour. I had a box, my crutch, and the black death with me as I stepped out onto the porch and Saffy zipped out after me.
I spent five minutes I could not afford trying to get her back, but she is muscular and her coat hasn't much friction and claw escaped after her. I got Claw in, but Saf ended up under her favorite bush where even if I got on my hands and knees I couldn't get her and I definitely couldn't get up from that position whilst holding her, let alone manage the crutch which I would need to traverse the stupid uneven decorative path.
There was nothing for it, but to abandon her there, knowing I would be gone something between 2 1/2-3 hours. I know Saffy and I leash trained a cat at 8 and have done it a number of times since. If one of them were loose, best it were Saffy. Saffy is outgoing, sure, but she likes to take her time sizing a new person or situation up. She doesn't like large dogs or loud noises. She'd be unlikely to approach a car or a stranger or a dog outside. These would be concerns with Clawdia. It was still scary leaving her behind even with my belief she would hide under the bush until someone came along the path, then retreat to the porch to hide amoung the plants.
I found her exactly where I pictured her when I got back, and wasn't she happy to see me. Outside is scary and boring without the company of her sister and her human. There was no water, nothing to eat but bugs, and no litter box. She went right inside and her half panicked sister needed almost as much comforting as she did.
Cleaning went fine, but I have to go back Friday for a check up, which is weird as it's usually a 2-3 month wait. This was worrying as I am at Squirrel's mercy for transport. I knew Thursday was right out for their physio, but I suspected (correctly as it turns out) they'd be exhausted from physio and 8AM is really early for them to be going anywhere just now, so that was all right. Pharmacy was a small line, but at least I got to sit down while I waited.
I was not sanguine I would have much luck at the bank; given my poverty, my debt, and the thing where I owe the city when I either die or leave my apartment; but it had to be attempted. It required a supervisor as it turned out, but the nice young man and I looked at where I lived on the computer and I pointed to my patio, my dying car, and my roommate's car from the aerial view and I tried to convince him to sign up for a library card while we chatted about stuff and waited. (He was new in town and we were discussing amenities).
It went better than hoped. There is a chance for plan B and they suggested a plan C if B doesn't work out. It is risky and my late parents are metaphorically screaming in my head because one of the cardinal rules is never fuck with your housing. Without a cosigner, there is zero chance of a third party lender taking me. What I need is a way to pay for the car up front without ever having more than 2000.00 in my bank account at a time, which will fuck up my SSI/SSD and other benefits. Not fucking those up is cardinal rule #2.
Plan B is riskier, but would be a two birds with one stone situation and leave me better off than I am now in a couple years if nothing else goes wrong. I do not trust that nothing else will go wrong, hence it stressing me right the fuck out, but I am rational about this being the best solution at this stage. The real problem with Plan B is it will likely take a month to implement if they like my paperwork Friday morning after dentist appointment #2. This means I may have to get a more expensive car if they fix the one I want too quick. They will be back from vacation Monday. Let us hope the tail light is on back order or something, or I can talk them into partial payment to hold it. I am not sanguine on account of the time situation, but it is irremediable.
Plan C is less risk and faster, but only leaves me in the same precarious situation I've been in for decades. I am at this point about a thousand short on having enough for the car in two months. The car could be ready in a week or two. idk.
In any case it was Too Hot by the time I left the bank and the Library was so hot inside I was struggling not to vomit or pass out. I do very poorly in the heat and this was like someone's windowless attic in high summer with no airflow.
And I still needed to pick up lime juice to make lemonade on the way back. (The lemon part was covered, but like my mother, Grandmother, and great grandmother before me, I like my lemonade strong and tart and not tasting of chemicals). I find lime juice adds a little zing. I normally have shelf stable lime juice, but apparently, I was out. I have some EBT left, and I keep craving vitamin C. There were two places to pick some up on the way back from the library, but I was struggling to both breath and walk at this point, so dipping into the coop to grab some was torture.
And then I still had to put it all away some how. And wash all the pollen and pollution out of my hair. I also had a documents list, but I saved that for Thursday night. I abandoned my library books in Squirrels car. I did what had to be done, but I had burned several days of spoons and there is always high interest on that.
I did manage prep Wednesday, but not much else. Thursday, I managed to feed myself and walk the kittens before the New Guy came to rescue my library books and do sundry other tasks. My body is really not working well and I am having to stay up for Dentist and bank again. At least my anal retentiveness about documents that are often wanted for bureaucracy paid off in it only taking 15-20 minutes to find and double check all the documents, most of it me going through the folder where all but one thing was and verifying correct dates. The one thing was the 2024 tax filing (SSI/SSD is not taxed, but I always file for this reason), which was exactly where I expected on the tax form pile.
I am exhausted. Let us hope I can walk more than a few feet in the morning.
* Friday I dragged myself back out into the heat despite not being even close to recovered. This time the cats were less involved with me getting ready and I was able to grab the book on CD that needed going back to the library, so I went out the kitchen door, which the kittens know leads to a boring corridor that smells like strangers cooking in a furnished basement in the 1970's, and the car trip to the vet. *shudder*
Squirrel's car is hard for me for a variety of reasons, including difficulty getting in and out without hurting myself, and the way it is physically hard to drive, and the way it makes me queasy (Squirrel didn't notice anything was wrong with it until I pointed it out, and there is no money to take it in just now), but it is so much better than getting stranded downtown when my car dies. I am grateful, but also it is a strenuous thing for me by itself, even if I'm just a passenger.
The dental check up went quickly, so went to get gas at the weird gas station where everything is just a little off as Squirrel was out and I owed them, and also the tank was on empty. The thing would not stop pumping as the trigger was stuck so I both injured my hand and ended up accidentally buying more than intended. Sigh. I hate that gas station. If you pay cash they don't always turn on the pump. If you pay be credit this tends to happen "accidentally." The weird gas station was close and the good gas station is up where I live, so…
They open the downstairs back doors late as it turns out, and I was worried if I was late for the meeting I'd make a bad impression, so I went all the way around going up uphill with my hip joints screaming then the length of the bank back. I had all my papers, but forgot I needed my lap top. I left them the paper packet to copy while I ran home for it. Then there was the drama about the address because the computer didn't like it. (There are three ways to write my address, and computer systems are often persnickety about it. This issue was the bank didn't want to take apartment numbers at all.) we has to wait for a supervisor. The guy I am dealing with is sweet but he's new and does not know how to deal with problems yet. Then there was my property tax statement, which is a lot lower than the Redfin suite. Plus my bill looks funny because the city has a tax abatement program for elderly and disabled, which means I have a massive column of discounts, etc.. We needed to wait fore the supervisor. Me: I'm pretty sure redfin is based on recent sales and assessments, my valuation is frozen at the 2010 rate…. The supervisor agreed to trust the lower redfin number because that was likely closer. I suspect it's lowball, because the low end is likely 1 bedroom and the high range two, but better to under estimate than over because it becomes fraud if you overvalue. Then we had to wait for the supervisor to find out if one was supposed to declare gifts or not.
Anyway, it's submitted and they should call next week about inspection. The supervisor think it might go faster than the original month estimate. *digits cruciform* The mechanics return from vacation next week.
I'd been eating garden tomatoes, but I ate the last ripe one Thursday and the next batch were three that were too small and then a gap. The tomatoes are small this year, lots of them are cherry tomato range, bit some are small end of reasonable. I plant heirlooms, and it's like they are packing the flavour for normal sized tomatoes into the tomatoes, so they are some of the best tasting I've ever had, but about half I just pop into my mouth, still sun warm from the vine.
There was nothing for it but to buy tomatoes on the way home, which was alarming, as my legs kept trying to collapse, but there was nothing to be done, but burn more spoons I don't have. I'll be lucky to reach baseline level disabled for me sometime next week.Bonus, the coop has a thing where if you buy a certain amount of produce, you get five dollars off because they have some sort of grant for SNAP/EBT. For three dollars of corn, I got five dollars off, so I got white corn this year after all. It is a risk, but the non-citrus there is generally local, so it's probably okay.
After I took my stuff to the patio, the forage delivery pulled up as I was getting into the car, so that was another thing I had to do before bath and bed. It's very thin these days, not surprisingly. Still the bananas, milk, and butter are worth it, and Squirrel gets meat and bread out of it.
I am in really bad shape. I'm sorry it's taking so long to post things like election results. I have to spend a stupid amount of time lying down.
* I want to state up front that while this was terrifying for the kittens, they were not physically harmed and she is recovering from the shock.
Saffy went into the fish tank today. Terrifying for all involved including Clawdia, who panicked and blocked my rescue. It was bound to happen. They could not be discouraged. Tavy was the same way, only he fell into a betta tank instead of a 50 gallon.
So I am eating a popsicle so I could take last meds and not looking that way when I hear the CRACK of aquarium glass, So I jam the thing in my mouth because I'm about to need my hands, step over Claw who is also hurrying over in alarm. She gets ahead of me, because of course, so I round the corner of the table just in time to see Saff's claws slip from the top of the bookshelf. If she'd had fingers, she'd have been fine, but paws, so she is slipping down the side of the bookshelf, pawing wildly for purchase she had no chance of getting, trying to stand one tank edge, but it's thin and he paws keep slipping into the drink.
Claw has frozen in panic right in front of me because she too was bright enough to grasp the terrible thing about to happen to her sister.
So now I have to delicately step over Claw to get to Saf, which slows the rescue way down. Saf managed to turn and sort of straddle the thin edge of the short side of the tank top instead of going all the way in, but she now has two legs in and there is broken glass caught on the plants just under her hind leg and she is falling sideways into the tank."
I have never seen a look of horror and desperation so profound on the face of anyone human or cat in my life.
I push the popsicle further in as I close the distance, and awkwardly grab her before she crashes into the water, though her flank hit a little. She panics harder, because I am lifting her under her pits and there is nothing for her to grab for several terrifying seconds before I could set her on the chair.
She miraculously did not drown or cut her paws on glass. Ten minutes later, I wouldn't have been there to save her.
I suspect she was trying to do something that concentrated her weight in one spot on the left side of the lid based on her ability to leap the way she did with the lid collapsing under her and the damage pattern on the glass. She managed to knock the light and the pump into the water too. Also part of the filter and the pump pad. Luckily the plants slowed the decent of everything. I'm going to let the pump dry for another day longer before plugging it back in.
The light was off and I set it to dry. It is working now. There is no lid on the tank. I'm hoping it was scary enough they will start standing on their hind legs to drink out of the twenty like sensible cats. (They have other water, but I've been keeping both cats and fish together since the turn of the century, and it is impossible to prevent cats from drinking from fish tanks.
She needed a LOT of cuddles and they spent the last three hours chasing each other and knocking things over and flinging themselves at curtains, I think because enough time passed between the tank accident this morning and about 7PM for her to be relieved enough to release the tension.
Saffy attacked my feet. Saffy never attacks my feet. Claw? Yes. Saff no.
We had feather time for a while, then they went back to tackle tag and swinging from the curtains.
Before you ask, there is no way to stop them swinging from the curtains. They enjoy it too much and I have to sleep sometime.
* "The Most Relatable Death Wish Ever? | Grave Conversations with David Dastmalchian:"
* "You’ll Be More Than Amused by These 15 Photos of Theme Parks. Their Electrifying Attractions Will Have Your Heart Racing Before You Even Set Foot on a Ride:" https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-culture/youll-be-more-than-just-amused-by-these-15-photos-of-theme-parks-their-electrifying-attractions-will-have-your-heart-racing-before-you-even-set-foot-on-a-ride-180989008/
* "Ocean Photographer of the Year 2026 Finalists:" https://archive.ph/EUU9A#selection-610.0-610.1
*****
* Full list of Resistance and charity links has been migrated to my profile as it was getting out of hand.
The help links are at the bottom under the cut.
* It is important we flip the US Senate in November!
Here are some key Campaigns to Donate to:
If you wish to help defeat an election denier for Arizona Secretary of state, here is Adrian Fontes's fundraising page: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/friendraising-fontes
James Talrico, Texas: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/jt-tx-web
Roy Cooper, North Carolina: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/em-cgp-2025-cooper
Mary Peltola, Alaska: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/dw_aksen
Josh Turek, Iowa: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/dw_iasen
I am still furious at Sherrod Brown for throwing trans people under the bus last election. At the same time, we need the Senate, so I will post the donation link and leave it to the individual conscience.
Sherrod Brown, Ohio: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/subodh
* Want to help Jennifer Jenkins and Southern Progress PAC piss of Queerphobic and Misogynistic Repubblicans? https://secure.actblue.com/donate/s-partner_loc_jj_em_southernprogress
* "Transcontinental Pipeline:" https://tcpipeline.org/steps/
* "Swing Left:" https://swingleft.org/
* "2026 Statewide Primary Calendar:" https://www.270towin.com/2026-state-primary-calendar/
* "Project Salt Box:" https://projectsaltbox.substack.com/
* "When the Feds Come to Your City: Standing Up to ICE :" https://crimethinc.com/2025/12/03/when-the-feds-come-to-your-city-standing-up-to-ice-a-guide-from-chicago-organizers
* Links to Help organize in advance of ICE Occupation: https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/807226885129060352?source=share
* "MASTER LIST OF WAYS TO HELP IN MINNEAPOLIS:" https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/807223113540599808?source=share
* "Here are Minnesota groups that need your help organizing against ICE and DHS operations:" https://www.advocate.com/news/minnesota-mutual-aid-groups-ice
* "The List of Shame: People frequently ask us about whether their specific US state is trying to enact a social media age verification law so they can call their state representatives and yell at them about it!:" https://dw-advocacy.dreamwidth.org/1493.html
* "Keep Android Open:" https://keepandroidopen.org/
* "Taking action against AI harms:" https://www.anildash.com/2026/02/23/taking-action-ai-harms/
* "Resist and Unsubscribe:" https://www.resistandunsubscribe.com/
* Suggestions for crafts a person can do in bed are in the notes: https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/809534727291912192?source=share
* If you need help with chest binders:
* "Free Chest Binders:" https://www.pointofpride.org/free-chest-binders
* "Brother 2 Brother Binder Program:" https://blacktransmen.org/binder-program/
* "Morebinders:" https://www.morebinders.com/about
* "The Queer Trans Project :" https://queertransproject.org/
* "Free Gender Affirming Gear Program:" https://www.ftmessentials.com/pages/ftme-free-youth-binder-program
* CW: Suicide "These hotlines are still available for LGBTQ+ youth after Trump kills 988 services:" https://www.advocate.com/news/lgbtq-youth-hotlines-still-available
* "State Vocational Rehabilitation Agencies:" https://rsa.ed.gov/about/states
* "United States Disappeared Tracker:" https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/danielleharlow/viz/UnitedStatesDisappearedTracker/Map
* "Introducing Rise Up: Federal Workers Legal Defense Network:" https://aflcio.org/2025/4/16/introducing-rise-federal-workers-legal-defense-network
* Help Lambda Legal Continue their fight: https://support.lambdalegal.org/site/Donation2;jsessionid=00000000.app30130a?df_id=6680&mfc_pref=T&6680.donation=form1&NONCE_TOKEN=D3311163DF16F06EEA5520010BAF90B5&_gl=1*n53ras*_gcl_au*MTMxNDYxNjc0LjE3MzgxODExMzg.*_ga*MTY0NDY4OTM4NC4xNzM4MTgxMTM4*_ga_290ZG8GMP3*MTczODE4MTEzOC4xLjEuMTczODE4MTIwMi41OC4wLjA.
* Glad Law is fighting for trans service members. Want to help? https://givebutter.com/donatetoglad?utm_src=webheader&_gl=1*1qhxi1q*_ga*NDM3MjM0Mzk1LjE3NDEwMDk5NDA.*_ga_PCJHHSV2G7*MTc0MTAwOTk0MC4xLjAuMTc0MTAwOTk0MC4wLjAuMA..
* "Donate to the ACLU:" https://action.aclu.org/give/now
* "Vote Smart:" https://justfacts.votesmart.org/
* "Democracy 2025:" https://www.democracy2025.org/?utm_source=df-ad&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=21912407002&utm_content=721373734297&source=df-ad-gs&gad_source=1
* "Here are 26 organizations fighting Donald Trump that you can donate to:" https://www.advocate.com/politics/anti-donald-trump-charities
* Run for Something: https://runforsomething.net/
* "LGBTQ+ Victory Fund:" https://victoryfund.org/
* What to do if you encounter an immigration official. "Know Your Rights:" https://unitedwedream.org/resources/know-your-rights/
* "ICE Raids Toolkit: Defend Against ICE Raids and Community Arrests:" https://www.immigrantdefenseproject.org/raids-toolkit/
* "Legal Services for Your Reproductive Life:" https://reprolegalhelpline.org/
* "National Abortion Hotline:" https://prochoice.org/
* "World Central Kitchen:" https://wck.org/
* Trans support organization: https://www.pointofpride.org/
* "Transanta: An opportunity to directly support trans youth:" https://thisfinecrew.dreamwidth.org/291573.html
* Links for various Palestinian Aid Organizations: https://www.tumblr.com/gwydionmisha/750151174318112768?source=share
* "Black Alliance for Peace’s Atlanta Citywide Alliance:" https://linktr.ee/bapatlanta
* Map of Cop Cities planned or being built: https://isyourlifebetter.net/cop-cities-usa/
* Want to help Journalists without Borders? https://donate.rsf.org/us/donate/~my-donation
* How to donate to Doctors Without Borders: https://donate.doctorswithoutborders.org/secure/donate
* "The Rainbow Railroad:" https://www.rainbowrailroad.org/take-action
* "These Organizations Accept Donations To Help People in Ukraine:" https://www.snopes.com/news/2022/03/01/where-to-donate-help-ukraine/
* "Russia-Ukraine War: Info and ways to help:" https://ukrainewar.carrd.co/
* "Support OVD-Info:" https://beste-glatisant.tumblr.com/post/677388506851606528/hi-ive-donated-to-the-ukranian-refugees-and-now
* "War in Ukraine! Support LGBTQ people.:" https://secure.wayforpay.com/payment/s047412e502b6
* What to help fight for queer people in Africa? Try the Initiative Sankofa D’Afrique de l’Ouest www.ISDAO.org
* Organizations to help trans folk: https://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/620857152453640195/about-us
* Indivisible Guide for Trump 2.0 "A Practical Guide to defeating MAGA:" https://indivisible.org/resource/guide
* This tracks legislation: https://www.govtrack.us/
* Have something you want to tell your Congress Critters? If you can't safely protest in person, here are some other options:
Five Calls to your critters: https://5calls.org/
Call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask to be connected to the representative of your choice.
Senate: https://contactsenators.com/senator-phone-numbers/
Congress in General: https://www.congress.gov/members/find-your-member
Here is one that will send your reps a fax: https://resist.bot/
* "DONATE TO EMILY'S LIST:" https://win.emilyslist.org/a/donate-to-emily
* Want to help support all of us all here at the Cat Asylum? https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/Gwydion