* "Stop Using Minimum Wage To Determine Who Is Beneath You:" http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/ward-anderson/minimum-wage-hating-the-poor_b_16922788.html
* "After A Year, Seattle’s New Minimum Wage Hasn’t Raised Retail Prices:" https://www.fastcompany.com/3059118/after-a-year-seattles-new-minimum-wage-hasnt-raised-retail-prices
* A Muslim man answers a white supremacist: http://the-alexandrian-alchemist.tumblr.com/post/161553244851/bellygangstaboo-standing-ovation
* "Colo. Woman Is Being Terrorized by Racist Notes Slipped Under Her Door, but Apartment Complex Refuses to Let Her Break Lease:" http://www.theroot.com/colo-woman-is-being-terrorized-by-racist-notes-slipped-1795821403
* "Number 12- Rest In Power And Peace, Kenne McFadden:" http://transgriot.blogspot.com/2017/06/number-12-rest-in-power-and-peace-kenne.html
* Today was disaster. Real, serious, I don't know what the fuck I'm going to do level disaster. This move has been incredibly rough on me physically, and I'm kind of at the end of my rope anyway on that. (The Wednesday allergen exposure was so bad I have a rash in patches all over my body and my eyes were so bad they woke me up. My meds schedule is disrupted which means the AS is kicking my ass, and apparently all the stress has revved up my auto-immune situation so that there was measurable new damage over the course of Thursday).
Today, though. I am so fucked. We take the first load over and get back in to drive back to the old house for another and the starter doesn't turn over. I correctly assume the battery is drained. A nice lady gives us directions to a cheap battery place and jump. This is an excellent place, cheap, friendly, honest, and full of locals. No frills and everything I want in a mechanic. They basically just do tires and batteries. There is an understandably long long line, but our guy is intelligent, charming and looks like a taller Ty from Almighty Johnsons. I am not panicked at this point. We do not need a new battery, just refurbishing on corroded wires. I give him my toilet paper money for the month, which is cheap for a thing that will fix my car. It turns out we need a new grounding wire, which is not a thing they do there, but he estimated we had about a year to raise the money before it failed, so the day is still going reasonably well, considering. We'd lost a couple hours and my toilet paper, we had plenty of time for moving everything they had packed already.
I try to start the car. It doesn't. He figures out it's a sticky...some word I'd never heard of for a part attached to the starter? Anyway, he showed us where to bang to get the car to start. We drive away.
I get pulled over for speeding leaving Ferndale, which is very much my fault. My instinct is to speed up once we are over the bridge and into the country straight away, so I tend to speed up about half a mile too soon. especially sleep deprived, exhausted, having only had a nasty granola bar too eat as I hadn't time to eat before I left, plus the whole long drive over back roads broken car stress. I am white and I wasn't going that far above the limit, and I do well with polite and contrite when confronted with cops. I know it's a white privilege thing and I feel terrible about this working for me when I know if I were Native or black the whole thing would have been potentially life threatening and at minimum expensive. It's also a class privilege thing, which I also feel shitty about. I am poor and have been my whole life, but I code switch like a champ thanks to my accent and schooling. I feel shitty about taking advantage of something that everyone should have, which is decent treatment by police, but we were looking at this month's car insurance money if I got a ticket, so... polite and contrite and code switched up the class scale and mention being stressed about car trouble and let him let me off.
The car doesn't start. I pop the hood and hobble 'round back and the cop watches me grab the tire ion and hobble it back to the front. I wang the thing. I start the car and close the hood and put the tire iron up front, knowing I'll need it later. I figure i nothing else, this vindicates in his head that my day really was made of shit before he stopped me. This is still not disastrous. I kept my car insurance money. I can live with wanging the car to start it every time.
We get back to the house. I top the car and realise I forgot to roll down the stupid power window. Car won't start. Pop hood, wang the thing, leaving the hood open as we'll need to wang it to leave. Car doesn't start.
Correctly reasoning that there is a chance that it worked at the mechanic because the super long wait with the hood popped let it cool down (parts expand in the heat. It is a hot day and driving long distances heats a car right up even on a cold one and it might be enough to through something already dicey enough off to bork it), I settled under a tree with my book for an hour or so. I weighed the advantage of going straight home vs stopping halfway for free fluid top off and waiting an hour or so for the car to cool down enough to start. I opted for the fluids. The distance being shorter the wait was shorter, but enough to alarm the fluid jockeys. I assured them it was fine and would start once it had cooled down a bit and that's why I'd stopped for fluids. (There were no warning lights and the temp gauge was low medium). I drove home.
I can't do things like forage or go for meds through stop and go traffic without scheduling in a couple extra hours for reading in allergen laden air with the hood open or every stop. It's not tenable.
I've no real idea what fixing it will cost. I suspect the part won't be too bad, but the part looks well embedded, which I bet means labor cost'll be in the 3-5 hundred range at honest downtown mechanic. I don't know, of course, but say, not paying rent and possibly bills for a month is not option.
Fuck. Fuckity fuck.
Why can't I take the bus? I don't have 50ish dollars a month to throw away and the bus doesn't let out anywhere close to where I need to go, which means every single trip to do anything involves literal miles of painful gimping to and fro, plus I can't buy more than a back pack full of groceries at a time, which means gimping these long distances over and over with weights. There is a special bus for disabled people that actually takes you where you want to go. I've waited close to a decade to hear back about my application, so I'm guessing that's a no and we're still talking a back pack plus whatever I can balance on my head while gimping. (I am not skilled on the level of the people who have to tote giant jugs of water, but If a thing is not too heavy, like a forage box or the water for my plants I put it on my head with a steadying hand in case my balance wavers and I can manage sort distances , which are longer than I can manage one handed without doing it that way.) So I can use the fix route bus at the price of not being able to do anything else that day and the next and possibly the one after (including things like making food and doing dishes) for things like the doctor and library, but not really for things like forage or grocery shopping. I become trapped in my house, as even small simple trips involve enough advanced planning for me to save up spoons for there and back again and to clear everything else until I recover enough to cope...
On the upside, they’ve got someone else with a car to help them next week, so all that was lost as far as getting them moved somewhere safe was a day of hauling.
* I finally finished Blacklist. You have to understand, I am 100% team Mr. Kaplan, and I stopped giving a fart about Red the second he put a bullet in her head. I actually guessed a big chuck of the season arc, though not all the twists, and I had hoped for a different ending. (The Dembe thing was so transparent as to not even count as a twist as I guessed how that would play out the moment I grasped the scenario basics, but I did not guess Wressler's old partner would turn up or the end of season stupidity, so not 100%, but I'd guess maybe 80%? Certainly I guessed who Red was under attack by and the broad outlines of where it would go). I did love the all Mr. Kaplan episode and pretty much all her things worked for me, except the very end which was clumsy. I did like how Samar and Aram resolved. (Earlier seasons it wouldn't have worked for me, but the power balance equalized and it works for me now). I am not sure if the show is worth watching another season without Mr. Kaplan, as I'm not convinced the other characters are enough to make me want to put up with Reddington. He was musing for a few seasons, but it's reached the point where I just want him dead now and Dembe and off with his family away from the creepy codependent life endangering bullshit. I want the team to go off and have careers that don't corrupt them the way this does. I want this show over and done the way I wish someone would put Supernatural out of it's misery. I only barely managed to get through Redemption, despite a lot of talented acting and eye candy. It just didn't gel for me and I'm struggling to remember how they left it.
Liz should have picked her. Task force should have switched. Kate Kaplan could do all Red can do plus more plus she still has resources, plus she’d be able to do it while giving up killing people which long term solves the whole supporting a criminal enterprise, plus why in hell would they want anything to do with a man who’ use Liz as bait? Not forgivable. A friend points out they could have switched up the sides and had Reddington be the villain for a season, which would have been a cool parallel and let them keep a one of a kind character in play while still keeping Reddington’s ratings. It would have let Liz have some basic principles inculcated early her nanny instead of Red being her “real” sperm donor over riding everything, which is better drama and more interesting anyway. “In fact, she could have considered it incumbent upon her //as his daughter// to put a stop to his antics.” Thank you friend for pointing it out.
I just... meh. They had one canonically queer character on the show and unless they find a way to resurrect her twice in two years.... I think I have to be done.
There has never been a character like Kate Kaplan on TV. Seriously, name me one other elderly dangerous principled queer woman mastermind on all of TV? She was the only one anywhere and they FRIDGED her.
* Full list of Resistance and charity links has been migrated to my profile as it was getting out of hand.
* "What can I do to help Syria?:" http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/161385222607/what-can-i-do-to-help-syria
* This App phones your rep for you: http://takeastance.us/
* Here is one that will send your reps a fax: https://resistbot.io/
Want to fight Climate Change? "Ready to Mobilize? Start Here!:" http://www.theclimatemobilization.org/start_here
* Distressed by the anti-gay genocide in Chechnya and the anti-gay laws in Russia? Donate here: https://lgbtnet.org/en
* The Rainbow Road and other ways to help Gay Refugees: http://gwydionmisha.tumblr.com/post/160470723507/the-rainbow-railroad-is-helping-gay-men-escape
* This is a Real Life friend of mine. They do very much need the money and a number of people and beasts depend on him and his husband. They have been incredibly helpful and supportive of me. If you can kick in, it is a kindness.: https://www.youcaring.com/tod-788345
* This is my oldest continuous Real Life friend. She is disabled and really needs the money for herself and beasts. To buy jewelry from her: https://www.etsy.com/shop/karjack
* Help pay for cat food, litter, meds, medical copays: Paypal Lethran@gmail.com
* Want Game of Thrones without the creepy? We need new players. We are very inclusive. "Game of Bones MUSH:" gobmush.wikidot.com